Let It Go to Move Ahead
One of my mentors, Marshall Goldsmith, talks about the importance of letting go. The best way to start the new year is to do just that, end the year with putting behind you behaviors and thoughts that limit who you are, what you can be, and sap precious energy. In order to make someone’s day, you need to make yours! With the end of the year, let go of:
- Frustrations and resentment – they bring hurt
- Upsets and disappointments – they’re from the past
- Regrets and should haves – they’re over, start anew
- Anger with people close to you – this holds you back
- Believing you’re right and they’re wrong – listen to understand and appreciate.
New year’s is a time to be:
- Forward thinking to what can be – take time to dream
- Excited about new possibilities – learn and experience new things
- Willingness to take on new challenges and in new ways – be sure to learn and give back
- Supportive of those around you – this is your tribe that supports you as well
- Appreciative and grateful – gratitude brings you greater peace.
Make a plan for each of these categories, and look forward to a year full of excitement and growth. It all begins with shedding the past to make room for the future. Happy new year!